The FN SCAR 17S DMR, now equipped in 6.5 Creedmoor, introduces a new dimension of precision to a lineage renowned for reliability and performance. By integrating the celebrated innovations of the SCAR 20S into a more agile 17S framework, the DMR configuration emerges as a superlative solution for shooters aiming to strike at extended distances without compromising maneuverability.
With distant targets demanding unerring precision, shooters frequently grapple with finding a rifle that couples the endurance of a combat weapon with the finesse of a marksman's tool. FN's newly configured SCAR 17S DMR bridges this divide. It adopts the strength and precision of the military-focused MK 20 SSR, infusing these traits into the versatile and streamlined form factor of a 6.5 Creedmoor chambered rifle.
The SCAR 17S in the DMR configuration features premium upgrades, including the precision buttstock assembly and Geissele 2-stage trigger that SCAR 20S owners rely on for surgical accuracy. For many familar with the SCAR line, you might be tempted to say this is a mix of a traditional SCAR 17s in size and weight with the longer barreled SCAR 20s sniper rifle, and you would be correct. So, thus, the DMR. For us at Charlie's Custom Clones, we love military rifles, and we love it when a great rifle company, like FN creates something new. The traditional SCAR Heavy 7.62 NATO 17s (Mk17) is a very popular battle rifle, and the SCAR Mk20 (20s) is a competitive long-range precision rifle. Now, having a DMR rifle in a fast and flat cartridge like the 6.5CM is exciting, no doubt.
In addition to the FN SCAR 17S DMR's introduction in the increasingly popular 6.5 CM round — a cartridge designed for efficiency, lower recoil, and a flat trajectory — the rifle also boasts nuanced advancements gleaned from its combat-proven predecessors. Reflecting its Special Operations roots, the SCAR 17S DMR’s monolithic receiver contributes to its overall structural integrity, and the optimized gas-operated piston design owes its lineage to the battlefield demands of USSOCOM.
The SCAR archtiecture includes battle-proven design, piston driven gas system, and the addition of a match trigger and the rear buttstock from the 20s, to present more of a mid-range designated marksman rifle, and, or course, the rough and tough battle weapon we think of in the 17s Heavy.
One distinct, yet lesser-known fact about the SCAR 17S DMR is its barrel twist rate. The rifle features a 1:8 right-hand twist rate, specifically selected to optimize the ballistic capabilities of the 6.5 Creedmoor round—providing superb stability for long-range projectiles, which is especially important for shots beyond 1,100 yards. The three-prong flash hider equipped on the muzzle is not only effective at mitigating flash—essential for concealed firing positions—but also serves as an interface for FN's quick-detach suppressors, adding an element of tactical versatility.
Mirroring FN’s commitment to adaptability, the SCAR 17S DMR sustains full ambidextrous control, ensuring operational readiness regardless of shooter handedness—an essential factor in high-pressure or asymmetric engagement scenarios. This carefully considered feature suite carries forward the ethos of the FN SCAR, which became USSOCOM's battle rifle of choice in the 1990s owing to such versatility and durability.
Special Feature Spotlight:
The premier feature lies in the non-reciprocating charging handle (NRCH) system, an advanced design that underpins the DMR’s upgraded usability. The NRCH setup eliminates the potential for shooter-induced stoppages and enhances reliability under dynamic field conditions.
Buying and shipping through Charlie’s is easy, but there is some information you need to know. This item must ship to FFL holder. No civilian exceptions.
1) Check your state laws to make sure the federally regulated item you want to purchase is legal in your state.
2) Find your FFL… Have your dealer send us a copy of their FFL to Charlie’s (Make them earn their fee!!!)
3) Be patient! You should hear from our compliance department within 3-4 business days. If not, feel free to reach out for a status update.
That’s it! We try to make this process as simple as possible for our customers. Please click the “Buying a Firearm” tab at the top of this page for more information.
California residents please, click here. The process may be different due to state specific laws. We usually have success with Scar shipping to California, as we work with your gunsmith to make the Scar CA compliant.
NOTE: The free shipping option does not apply to full rifles.
THIS IS A SERIALIZED FIREARM. It must ship to a Federal Firearms License holder. No civilian exceptions.
Buying and shipping through Charlie’s is easy, but there is some information you need to know. Only a federally licensed firearms dealer may receive a firearm or federally regulated serialized item (like a receiver or suppressor). We cannot ship these items directly to you. Please follow these steps to process your transaction:
1) Check your state laws to make sure the federally regulated item you want to purchase is legal in your state. Your FFL dealer should be able to give you all of the necessary information regarding your state specific laws. But, if we ship to your FFL, and there is a legal issue, we cannot accept a return. So please make sure that you know and follow your local and state laws.
2) A quick google search will show you what Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers are in your area. When you are ready to purchase, contact the FFL dealer you would like to use and get their shipping address. During the check-out, put YOUR address in the “billing” section and the FFL DEALER’S address in the “shipping” section. If you don’t know your FFLs address, that’s okay. You can send the information later.
3) After check out, make sure to contact your FFL dealer to ensure they will receive your shipment for you (most do this for a small fee, but you should always double check).
4) Have your dealer send us a copy of their FFL to FFL@CharliesCustomClones.com. Charlie’s does not reach to your FFL (MAKE THEM EARN THEIR FEE!!!)
5) Be patient! In order to ensure we remain compliant with all federal laws, our compliance department is kept separate from our sales and operations team. Please allow a few days for our compliance officer to verify all of your dealer’s documents and ensure all federal laws are being observed. You should hear from our compliance department within 3-4 business days. If not, feel free to reach out for a status update.
That’s it! We try to make this process as simple as possible for our customers, but if you are unfamiliar the process or have any other questions, please visit our How to Buy a Firearm page for more details.
California and New York residents please, click here. The process may be different due to state specific laws.
NOTE: The free shipping option does not apply to full rifles, unless purchased with a riflescope. If you choose free shipping at check-out, we will bill you for shipping later.